Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Proud to be an American (God Bless the U.S.A.)

by Jeni

Another song that I'd stop doing anything for might actually surprise you. It's Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." but I prefer to call it "Proud to be an American". I sang it in Catie's car to my friends on the way to my bachelorette party when the mood so struck, tears filled my eyes when I heard the song choreographed to lighted fountains at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas this summer (very cheesy). Last night, on the way home from an election night party, I broke out in song and sang it in Catie's car once again. Catie and Colin joined in and though it didn't sound awesome, it was still pretty sweet.

So, in a cheesy country (U.S.A) way and in a cheesy Country (music) way, I am proud to be an America.

The speeches that both candidates gave last night were quite notable. The tears running down the face of the often stern Jesse Jackson were remarkable and humbling. What does this mean to so many people? What will happen next? Who will we be in the eyes of the world? What in incredible opportunity.

Of course there are many for whom the song "Proud to be an American" did not come to mind or lips or ear; many for whom the direction of the country is now scary and worrisome. In the years to come it will be important to listen to and live with those voices (however sharp they might be) for they are valid, honest, real and if we fail to listen, we will fail to move on as a nation.

What does this have to do with Life at Luther? Well, it probably shouldn't. I probably shouldn't write about this in such a public forum. I should keep my opinions and feelings and hopefulness to myself. But I just can't. I'm too proud, too excited and too exhausted to be as wise as a serpent or innocent as a dove.

And Justin 5-Penny, you have awful taste in music for not liking this great, great song.

Well, maybe not, after all. Le sigh.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dakota Dave said...

There is nothing wrong with having pride in your country or your nationality. In fact I think it might be impossible to not have it to some degree or another. The danger for the Christian however is that the lines between nationalism and Christianity can be blurred to such a degree that it crosses into false idol territory. One thing that always bothers me is when I walk into a church and on the stage they have a "church" flag and the US flag. It often makes me wonder who they are pledging allegiance to. I think it is safe to say that Luther would be appalled at such a thing. The danger in nationalism is that it sends far too many people to their deaths in defense of a flag. Not unlike the defense of the Motherland in Russia or (to be inclusive) the Fatherland in Germany. We must never loose sight of the purpose of the christian; the proclamation of the Gospel. So have pride in your identity and in the country which allows public worship. It is a rare and wonderful thing and truly a gift from God. But be aware that love of God and love of country don't always mix.

11/06/2008 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Oh, of course whilletal, you're right. I'm mostly poking fun at a song that should be ridiculed but that somehow I love. Irony. Even when the election goes the way of my voting I am aware that God does not equal Country and President does not equal Messiah. Luther's Kingdom theory is very very important to keep in mind.

Nevertheless, I was in an internship site that was also in a town that housed a US Army base and had many German wives of US soldiers who have lived through life in the Fatherland, I learned that the flags were put in the sanctuary in Germany and other places to show alliance not with the Fatherland, but against the Fatherland--the appearance of the flag meant resistance to the Fuhrer. Interesting, no? Not having a flag can show idolatry, too.

11/06/2008 02:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your call for humility and cooperation and listening to the minority voice in this post and the last is beautiful and convicting. Thank you for doing so. In south Texas and in this congregation that minority voice is a large majority. To my surprise many people are scared and angry. Thanks for encouraging us to move forward together. Oh yeah, and I'm with 5penny till the end so I'm taking back ritter and blindpilot.

11/08/2008 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Terri Mork Speirs said...

Hi Jeni, I know exactly what you mean. With "God Bless America" these days and that song. They played that song when we went to the US Citizenship ceremony with some international friends from Luther a couple years ago. I normally would have rolled my eyes, but when you're with an auditorium of people who really, really, really are "proud to be an American where at least they know they're free" . . . well, there wasn't a dry eye in our crowd anyway. Gotta go! Thanks for your continued fabulous wise postings. T

11/08/2008 06:02:00 PM  
Blogger Dakota Dave said...

Jeni,
Thanks for the reply. I hope you were not taking my response as a personal hit. It was just observations. I did not know that the flags in the churches meant resistance in Germany. That is interesting and something I will have to read more on. Do you know why in the US the US flag is flown with the Church flag on the stage? Just wondering and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Thanks for taking the time to blog :)

11/09/2008 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home