Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Candidacy is a Process

by Nina

I have now made it through the first two parts of the candidacy process. It can be a confusing process and may be frustrating to many individuals. I have chosen to briefly explain the steps taken by the candidate and their significance.

Part 1: Entrance

  1. Read What Shall I Say? - This is a short book which talks about vocation and calling and tries poorly to be a guideline for describing the various rostered roles and encouraging vocational discernment. It is difficult, I've found, to be in discerning conversations with a book.
  2. Pay your synod money - I don't know why.
  3. Get people to write you recommendations - no comment
  4. Write an entrance essay - I was pleased to find out my entrance essay would double as my seminary application essay.
  5. Read the document Vision and Expectations - This document gets a lot of talk in interviews and around the seminary. The church wants its leaders to live holy lives. The only reason anyone ever talks about this document is in reference to a small section about sexuality, though the document contains other important and interesting sections.
  6. Participate in an initial interview - Talk, ask, listen, share.
  7. Get a psychological evaluation done - Do personality tests, intelligence tests, talk about your family, talk about your past, talk all about you.
  8. Participate in an entrance interview - Get nervous, talk to people from your synod, actually get to talk about God, answer tough and wonderful questions about your calling. Sweat it out.

Part 2: Endorsement

  1. Write endorsement essay - You have to answer a series of questions about doctrinal and ministry issues, including your thoughts and ability to live by Vision and Expectations. I wrote mine on a train, which I highly recommend.
  2. Complete CPE (if required) - In progress for me...though it's not required for my roster. (even my candidacy committee asked me why I'm doing CPE!)
  3. Pay your synod money - I do not know why....
  4. Participate in endorsement interview - Bring your faculty advisor (or a back-up)...it'll be more fun. Repeat part 8 from above...hopefully it's easier the second time around.
YEAH! I made it this far in the process. Celebrate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Thanks Nina. The miracle is that, at some point, the process ceases to be a pejorative term (as if you're jsut being processed) to some sort of assurance that you're not a finished product yet.

10/24/2008 01:30:00 PM  
Blogger Dakota Dave said...

Nina gratz on getting through (somewhat) the process. Yesterday I was introduced to the South Dakota Synod office and handed a stack of paperwork to start the process along with the book. I too am wondering about the fee ($500 in two increments)that I need to pay even though I am broke because I just finished a BA and went straight into my MDiv which means I can look forward to 4 more years of Rahman Noodles as a main dish. I am very excited and massively nervous all at the same time. Of course this is due to the fact I know who I am ( right next to Paul on the top ten sinners list) and I look in the mirror and wonder who would ever think I am qualified to be a Pastor? I do take comfort in the fact that being less than zealous is probably a good sign but it really does nothing to calm the nerves.

10/28/2008 11:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home