Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Happy Democracy Day!

by Jeni

Well, the day has come. The ballots are printed, the lines are filling and people across America are waking up to a new day that is full of possibilities. I dragged my husband out of bed to stand in line and vote with the promise that we'd go to Starbucks and get a free cup of coffee which I haven't yet lived up to.

It's been a long time coming, November 4th--election day--democracy day as I like to call it. I've taken time to watch debates, speeches and political commentary; I've made my donations and have made my support known. I'm wondering what I'll do starting tomorrow. Will Chris Matthews be as interesting? Will my conversations trend towards more mundane things? Will I become a citizen empowered by tonight's winner?

One thing I'm excited to see end is the political squawking that has gone on between friends and acquaintances, myself included. Democrats and Republicans getting pot shots in via Facebook, pub conversations, buttons and bumper stickers, each side defending their thoughts and opinions boldly. I know my candidate and believe in what he has proposed, believe he can achieve it and believe he will move our country forward. I know I'm right in my voting because it just makes sense to me. But, doesn't it make just as much sense for you in whomever you are voting for even if it's not who I am voting for? It's not because I'm not reading all the facts or am just plain dumb (or vice versa), I just resonate with the way my candidate and party operates.

Dan Rather calls today the dance of democracy. Get your dancing shoes on, get on the dance floor (the polls), and vote!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't abide your position. I can't believe that you actually believe your thoughts and opinions are well thought out and appropriate when they disagree with mine. Unabidable I say. I'm right now making a button and a bumper sticker that stakes my claim as one who disagrees with YOU. That'll show you and all the world just where I stand, yeah, that'll do it. And also...pregangu, that's the word verification for this comment. what an awesome word, pregangu. But you still aren't abidable

11/04/2008 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger Dakota Dave said...

Where would Theology be without the bumper sticker?

11/04/2008 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home