Thursday, September 18, 2008

Livin' On a Prayer

by Jeni

My other favorite song 4 times out of 5 is Jon Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer."

You know the one:
Whoa...we're halfway there,
WHOA-OH! Livin' on a prayer!
Take my hand and we'll make it I swear
WHOA-OH! Livin' on a prayer!
Livin On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

Confession: When I was a wee little 7-year-old, I actually had a life-sized poster of Jon Bon in full snake skin pants, 80's rocker hair and a guitar slung to his back. It wasn't my idea as much as it was my sister's, who was ten years older than me and enamored by his renegade love-on-the-edge type songs. I was secretly afraid of the poster.

Back the the song. It's one of my favorites.

In Germany there is a Jon Bon Jovi edition Volkswagen. Every time my friend Lisa and I saw it, we would break out in "Livin' on a Prayer." The Germans they love the Jon Bon too.











At my wedding, we danced to this song and when I say danced, I mean we shouted the lyrics out, pumped our fists in the air and forgot that others were not only watching, but also taking photographs.

Yesterday, one of my very best friends Laurs was in town for about an hour (she's very jet set) and we went, along with Catie and Lauren (pictured, right) went to Big 10 in Dinky Town for the Wednesday special, 1/2 turkey sub with fries and a coke. Delish! Anyway, whilst waiting for our turkey delights, the aforementioned song played through the speakers, causing all of us to stop our conversations and sing along. What else would we do?

I think the point of all of this is that this ridiculous (read: awesome) song that came out when we were knee-high to a grasshopper, way before any of us ever met, this song is still a shared experience. Everybody seems to know to rock out whenever it comes across the radio or played at weddings and even at sub shops in Minneapolis. I think the other point is that it is it's good to be ridiculous (read: awesome) once in a while. It's sort of a part and parcel of life together, which is daily bread: to be goofy, to rock out, to be who you are within a community of other who are just as ridiculous (read: awesome).

Give it a shot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HEART YOU!
-Laurs

9/19/2008 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon Bon and Livin' On A Prayer is also a fave of Dr. Marga's: check it: http://www.luthersem.edu/concord/pdfs/2008_04_01_Noncord.pdf.

9/23/2008 09:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home