Sunday, November 02, 2008

Life at Luther Seminary...

by Nina

Comment: "Why don't any of you write about your classes, theology or how seminary is shaping you to become a pastor?"
Dedication
: to Anonymous
*Anonymous posted this comment on one of my blogs. As I assume that 1.) not all of the Luther Seminary bloggers read the comments posted on each other's blogs and 2.) this comment is addressed to all of us bloggers, I am posting it here in its own space and encourage fellow Luther bloggers to feel free to make comments.

Anonymous, I guess I would have to disagree with you. I think we, bloggers, write about classes, theology, and pastoral formation on a regular basis. While I acknowledge that not every blog I write does, these subjects are at the heart of many of the writings posted by myself and the other bloggers.

My current coursework for the semester is this Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), which I write about on a regular basis. CPE is about pastoral formation and it is a class (and a pretty significant one). Others write about the pastoral challenges of leading weddings, or the importance of preaching in their theology, or the journey and struggle of writing an MA thesis. There are posts about serving the church and specific scriptural passages (with interpretation even). There are posts about community and relationships and what we are passionate about. I would argue all these things powerfully influence our personal and pastoral identity.

Anonymous (and others), I would encourage you to make specific requests if you do have questions about the academic requirements, or our theological opinion of Karl Barth, or what it's like to grow into being a pastoral figure as a woman, or even asking us to comment on something we've recently read for class. I would gladly address such suggestions. But, please don't disrespect our experiences or boldness in sharing our theology, faith, and formation as Christian public leaders.

Thanks for reading the Life at Luther blog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your opinion on Barth's doctrine of Predestination/Election?
(A different anonymous person)

11/02/2008 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Dakota Dave said...

Nina,
First let me say I really appreciate all of you taking time to blog. I am a full time seminarian and fully understand the time commitments you have. I was able to enjoy Dr. Paulson yesterday at Augi in Sioux Falls. I have been reading his book Luther for Armchair Theologians and can honestly say it has made a profound impact on me. So much so that I now claim the denominational title of Lutheran. I admit to being relatively new to Lutheran theology (although very much surprised to how many of Luther's positions I had already held)and even more so to ELCA doctrine. I have been actively seeking a home church and thought I had one till this morning. During the service the Pastor stated he had a confession to make. His confession is that he is a universalist and believes everyone will be saved because "no one can out run the love of God". I do not hold this position and I do not believe Luther held it either. Is this position common in the ELCA clergy? My thoughts are simply if everyone is saved in the end what does that mean in relation to the cross and the resurrection? Why the need for either? I have been reading the bloggs you all have been posting and really wanted to try to get some reply from students at Luther. If you could find the time that would be great. Oh and I hope to be at Luther maybe next fall for a semester:)

Peace & Blessings

11/02/2008 03:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ignore my original question, Whilletal's is far more interesting and relevant :)
(the first person)

11/02/2008 05:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home