Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Water into Wine

by Chase

Well, I had a strange experience over the last couple of days. I know you're thinking, "It better be strange or interesting or funny or important and meaningful if I'm going to keep reading it!" Well, I don't know what category this story falls into. You see it is a story of me turning to a text, and after reading it, not knowing what category it falls into! Is it strange? Is it interesting? Is it funny? Is it important or meaningful? I don't know!

I had to prepare a retelling of John 2:1-11. It's a pretty easy story to remember,
1. Jesus and his disciples go to a wedding in Cana
2. Wine runs out, Jesus makes a ton more (120-180 gallons (I think that's the equivalent of about 44-72 cases of beer worth of wine, but I'm a theologian not a mathematician. After all, I believe 3 does fit in 1, just like 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner.)).
3. The steward tastes it, and tells the bridegroom that he has saved the good wine "until now"
4. John says, this is the first sign done by Jesus to reveal his glory and his disciples believed in him.

Ok. Fine. But, that just seems like an event based story to me. Where is the meaning what is the purpose? Why is the first sign that Jesus does in John's gospel to make wine?! Aren't there more significant things like healing the sick, casting out demons, or raising someone from the dead that should be his starting point? If the first thing Jesus did was to take a dead person and make them alive that would be astonishing. Resurrection? That's a walk off grand slam in the first inning (Would Jesus bat 4th? Would he name his bat?)!

Somehow I've always missed the story on this one. I could retell the facts, but I had no reason for why I would or should retell this story. Fortunately, I know this story has to be more than just proof that Jesus can do things no one else can do. And, I know that if I had been there I would have a heck of a story I would want to tell after the fact.

The cure for the frustrating ignorance that ails me? Well, this morning I've nurtured my 4th gospel headache with a lectionary fix. Check out Sermon Brainwave on WorkingPreacher.org. It's a podcast that you can download to your ipod and each week you get to hear professors talking together about the lectionary for the upcoming Sunday. In times of ignorance or frustration it is a blessing to get back to the text with some knowledgeable guides. And, the bonus for me this week is there is no wine sign in sight.

I'll add a link for www.workingpreacher.org in my links section as well. It's a great site. I'm sure you'll hear more exhortations about it from me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, Chase, here's a little of my insight for you. In the begining of John, ... John is the main character. He comes before Jesus. He's not the Christ, but he comes before to make the way for the Lord. So then, in the story of the water and wine, and when the master of the banquet tastes it, he says "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

So, my theory (for now) is that the "miracle" wine was saved til second, although the other wine came first and paved the way. So ... its a little John/Jesus metaphor. They've already gotten a taste of John... he's made them all a little tipsy, and then --Vioala-- Jesus comes!

9/17/2008 02:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chase, thanks for spreading the word about WorkingPreacher. However you are too humble. You actually should have included the fact that you, Chase Foreman, have the unique responsibility of recording and posting these weekly podcasts! Luther Seminary is blessed with many students who possess amazing gifts, and you are one of them!

9/17/2008 11:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home