Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cuidado

by Chase

This morning I have a brief note of caution for us all. I believe you are all familiar with one of my favorite "uncontrolled intersections." It is the one that separates Northwestern from the OCC. It is that unique place where Hendon and Fulham come together. This is also the place where Luther Seminarians boldly risk their lives, comforted by the security they feel in the Gospel and the faith they have in the drivers on Hendon. That faith amounts to the belief that those drivers "wouldn't hit a pastor." But wouldn't they? I think they would.

Yesterday as I crossed that intersection (one street at a time, after all I'm no law breaker) a car came over the top of the hill with its engine revving. While the seconds passed its bumper grew, reaching out like the morning sun over familiar fields. I knew that it would soon fall upon my face, but unlike the morning sun I would not be warmed, but rather broken to pieces. At this point I said, "oh!" and tried to scoot across more quickly, as any Minnesotan might. Unfortunately, I must warn you, it was at this same moment of what I thought was courtesy on my part, that I heard a slight acceleration in the engine that revealed the driver's hesitancy to allow me to survive this crossing. A hesitancy with which many Minnesotans might also be familiar.

Apparently, some drivers would hit a pastor, or rather pastor to be. My suggestion is that today and other days, wear your glasses to cross that intersection. Maybe they wouldn't hit a person with glasses. I don't know. I guess we have our answer to the age old question: You wouldn't hit a guy in a collar, would you?

Hey, by the way, didn't I tell you winter was nearly on top of us? Yikes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home