Tuesday, September 28, 2010

You'd think I'd be used to this by now

by Scott Dalen

So I've been pretty quiet for the last week. There's been quite a bit going on. Homework was a struggle this week, particularly my prophets class. Admittedly, that had my attention through the week, which explains part of my absence. But I've had some other stuff going on as well. Some of which I can talk about and some of which I need to keep mum about for the time being.

My aunt has been fighting colon cancer for awhile now. Its been a very up and down battle for her, but in the end, it seems like she's not going to win the fight. I got a call late last week that she was entering into hospice care. A day or so later I got a followup call saying that it might only be a few days to a week. Needless to say that threw me for a little bit of a loop. Then about another day later I got another call saying that their initial prognosis had been a little skewed, and the more realistic notion is that she's got up to 6 months. Better, but still not great.

I've been thinking a lot about it this week, and actually even talked to my partner pastor about it today. He discussed the fact that sometimes the line between our pastoral role and our personal life gets pretty skewed, this being one of those times. How do I offer care to my family when I am also grieving? Should I? Should I even be considering it?

Crazy stuff...messes with my head.

As I mentioned, there is some other stuff going on that I'm not quite ready to talk about yet, but it's weighing on me as well.

Seriously Lord...can the rest of the week just go nice and smooth?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home