Monday, August 30, 2010

CPE Day 1

by Scott Dalen

Do you remember your first day of college?

I had flashbacks today. Today was the first day of CPE for me. I knew it was mainly going to be orientation, yet I still had a few butterflies in my stomach last night as I thought about starting something new...going into the unknown. I like change, that's part of my personality, but I do still get apprehensive about new situations.

It must have had me a little bit more edgy than I realized too. I got woken up by one of the kids about 1:30 this morning, and I had a heck of a time getting back to sleep. I rolled around for awhile, finally getting up about 2:30 and hitting the couch with the tv on. I'm not sure how long I laid there watching various late night tv, but eventually I did drift off. Finally about 5 I went back into bed and did manage to sleep until the alarm went off at 6:30.

Honestly, the getting ready part of the morning was pretty routine today, but when 7:30 rolled around, things were definitely out of the ordinary. I hopped in the car and began my road trip. This portion of the day was fairly uneventful, the only major thing that happened was that I forgot my directions to the facility and had to call home to ask what street I needed to turn on...though in hind sight I didn't really need to as there are signs directing to the location on the main drag of the town where I had to go.

I arrived a little early, but not drastically. As it turned out, everyone got there right at the same time and we pretty much all walked up the stairs to our room together. My CPE group has 4 students. Another young guy right about my age and two middle aged ladies with college aged kids.

As I mentioned earlier, today was pretty much strictly orientation. So we went over the structure of the program, talked about what a typical day will look like, filled out some forms, pretty much all that type of thing. All in all, it was fairly uneventful, with the possible exception of an ongoing joke about the shirt that I wore today. Its horizontally striped, white and red. We were getting pictures taken today for documentation purposes, and the supervisor joked that if we make it black and white, mine will look like a mugshot with me in prison garb.

The joke stuck. Somehow I don't think I'm going to live it down...but that's alright. I can handle it.

After eating lunch together, we had one more brief sit down together and then we actually got done a little early today. So I hopped back in the car and headed for home. At the moment, I'm enjoying a brief bit of peace and quiet before I go pick up the kids from day care and school.

Day number 1 is done...so far so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home