Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Random Interaction

by Scott Dalen

So yesterday I was on my home from CPE. It was our first real foray into the classwork for CPE (though the second time I had been there, the first being orientation). One of the things that we discussed in our group time was a feeling of being overwhelmed at the beginning of the week. All of us in the group are, of course, in a ministry situation and there is a strong fear that we won't get things finished when we enter into a new week.

Sound familiar?

Well, as I was on the way home, I was pondering on this very fact. I was about half way home, and actually talking to my wife on the phone. As I drove through a town, I happened to notice a rather large truck pulling out of a parking lot in front of me. The thought crossed my mind, "Is that my brother?" but I didn't think too much of it at the time, mainly as I was trying to focus on the conversation that I was having with my wife.

Said conversation wrapped up about 30 seconds later and I was still following the large truck. I looked at it again and once again though to myself "That really could be his truck." He lives in the next town over from where I was, so it was not unexpected that he might be there. However, as I followed the truck, I noticed that there were two people in it as I could see the shadows of their heads over the seats. This made me think that it was not my brother, as his wife would be at work during this time of day, it being about 3:15 at the time.

However, after following the truck for another couple of minutes, I realized that it was in fact him, and I called him up. Turns out he had recognized me in the mirror about the same time and was trying to call me as well. We jabbered for a couple of minutes and he told me to swing into his place if I didn't have to get anywhere right away, so I did.

We ended up spending about an hour just relaxing in his porch jabbering. We didn't really talk about anything overly important, but mostly just spent time enjoying each others company. I left his house feeling a lot less anxious about coming into a really busy week. There is still a lot of stuff that I need to get done, but this little random interaction and subsequent visit helped me remember that at times, we've just got to slow down and remember that ministry happens in the interruptions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home