Monday, April 20, 2009

Mah Zeh!

by Daniel

I believe that this weekend can be appropriately summed up with the Hebrew idiom “mah zeh” – or “What in the world?!” (Or another expletive of your choice!) Where shall I begin? Well, I was too excited to sleep on Thursday night. I was very nervous (this was my first real teaching experience). The next morning I gave my lecture on Ecclesiastes at North Central College. I love teaching. That morning was perfect. There was nothing easy about the material with which we worked. Ecclesiastes is not afraid to ask the ultimate question: what is the meaning of life? I prayed that I would be able to guide these young, bright, scholars through this difficult Scripture (and that I wouldn’t get lost in my notes). I think that they received it well. Time seemed to go by very quickly (maybe not for the students). I was basically on an adrenaline “high” for most of the day afterward, but that night I slept like a child. That brings me to my question - “mah zeh?” What happened to the weekend? It seems like it was just yesterday that I was standing in front of the classroom lecturing. I hope that everyone took a little time to enjoy the spring. Things are beginning to come alive again. Trees are budding. Grass is turning green. I saw a snapping turtle when I was walking with Sonia and Cooper around Como Lake. How random, eh? When we were walking we happened across a shell in the water with a large, scaly, alligator-like tail sticking out of it. It appeared dead so I bravely took a stick and gave it a poke only to realize that it was a snapping turtle that was not very friendly – and very much so alive. Nature is awesome. Anyhow, I’m off to sleep. I will be back at North Central in the morning.

-Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home