Tuesday, April 14, 2009

“Fare thee well carbs”

by Daniel

Tonight I took my last bite of crispy, delicious pizza (for a while at least). Sonia and I decided to be adventurous given her recent endeavors in the Deep South. We’ve been trying to “get healthy” for some time now, but repeatedly return to our bad eating habits. One of Sonia’s friends from down south readily endorsed the “South Beach Diet” – which regulates all carbohydrates that one consumes. After a costly trip to the grocery store we came to realize that healthy eating can be pretty expensive. We have enough to make creative, non-carb meals for a month. This will be a good learning experience for us as well; neither of us has cooked using fish before (I couldn’t help but think of the fishing parables from the NT as I picked out tilapia and cod). Has anyone tried this kind of “diet” before? It will be good to feel healthy, but what I am looking forward to the most is the fact that I will be able to fit comfortably into all of my clothes from college (well, the appropriate ones) and my “church pants.” I wish you all the best for whatever your spring commitments may be. So, what else is on tap for this week? I present my lecture at North Central College this Friday (and I’m starting to get a bit nervous). Keep me in your prayers! I also will be turning my thesis work from the fall in to the University of Minnesota for binding. I will be glad to have these things behind me. I certainly hope that everyone is enjoying their “spring break” in a safe, productive manner (and not doing any renditions of “Seminarians Gone Wild”). Have a wonderful evening (and eat some carbs for me while you’re at it).

-Dan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, I've done the South Beach Diet. It works, but you really have to stick with it throughout the program and into the rest of your life. Once you get off track, your body handles carbs very differently and will store them up as fat sooner than you expect. But it really does work! Blessings as you seek to be a healthy leader!

4/16/2009 08:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have done South Beach it works but I also had the same results as the last comment. Weight Watchers is slower but is a more realistic lifestyle diet. You don't cut out carbs or any other type of food but look at a more balanced diet, amount of food, and exercise. I felt deprived on South Beach but not on Weight Watchers.

4/17/2009 06:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home