Saturday, April 11, 2009

TGIGF or Thank God It's Good Friday

by Nina

Last night, for Good Friday worship – we worshiped at Saint Sabina’s parish. This Good Friday worship was much different than what I have experienced in any other setting. There were 7 preachers from many different denominations who each preached on 1 of the last words from the cross. Two of the preachers were bishops in their denominations. Every one of the seven sermons was significantly longer than the 8 – 10 minute window we are giving in preaching class at Luther. The place was packed. We arrived 20 minutes early and still had to sit in the balcony, but I was glad we at least got to sit down, because the service ended up lasting over 4 hours! Never have I experienced such a jubilant Good Friday worship service. People were clapping, standing up, dancing, nodding, and waving their hands shouting. My favorite shout from behind me was a woman excitedly yelling “Shut Up!” (in an affirming way, mind you). We neither neglected the solemnity of the situation of Christ on the cross, nor forgot the promise and joy of the resurrected Christ living and working in our lives.

Thank God for Good Friday. And for St. Sabina’s awesome ministry in Chicago.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Chris said...

Nina, I am glad you got to experience St. Sabina's! We visited for my cross-cultural class last January and it was a fascinating place. My favorite affirming shout was from a lady in the front yelling, "HEY!" "Hello!" and "Umph!"

Grace and peace and alleluia!

4/12/2009 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home