Thursday, April 09, 2009

In Silence

by Margaret Obaga

It is a quiet late afternoon this special Thursday. It's no wonder that I receive "out of office"auto replies to some of my emails. Although replies could be done from anywhere by those within reach of computers,I sincerely believe that people need a break during this 9th week of our semester. This makes me a little embarrassed at what I am doing here writing this blog. Anyway, that is my "break," in a way.
So, here I am reflecting on what may have transpired in the "Upper room" and "the Garden," where betrayal among friends, teacher and disciples took place. I do not think I could claim to speak for anyone on what it might mean to be betrayed by a close friend or family member. I am sorry if my saying this triggers such memories in you. If that might the case, I wish you release and relief of those difficult memories. S0, as I ponder on this difficult aspect of human experience, I realize how hard it is to clearly speak to the aspect of betrayal. The silence of this late Thursday afternoon creates that mood of inadequacy. Yet, it is in the inadequacy that one might discover the adequacy to clearly speak to the situation of betrayal. Ok, this may sound abstract, but that is the point, that on this Thursday evening, I return to my innermost self and believe that I have been "washed" clean from many faults, many sins, many wrongdoings, and to rejoice in and celebrate the meal set before me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As someone who has been betrayed by the one closest to me, I can say that knowing that Christ intimately understands that pain is a great comfort to me. Since betrayal is a far more common human experience than any of us would like to acknowledge, perhaps that is one of the reasons Jesus became human--to experience that painful event and to let us know that he can relate to that specific pain in our lives.

Blessed Holy Week,
Susan

4/09/2009 10:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home