Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

by Daniel

Greetings! Easter blessings to you on this cool, spring evening. I am certain that this is a busy time for everyone. Today, after all, is a seminal day for Christianity: Easter. Do you have big plans? I can remember last year’s Easter clearly: I was working for Target – and I had a jaded perception of all holidays. Back then, I viewed all holidays through the hermeneutic of consumerism. Easter was reduced to a holiday of chocolate bunnies, green non-biodegradable grass, pastel plastic eggs, and shoddy wicker baskets. These things (which were a pain in the rear) replaced the significance of Easter. I didn’t love the holiday: I loathed it. It was unfortunate that I let consumerism sully this holy holiday, but this year things are different. I’ve been thinking about the significance of Easter a lot lately (especially since I’ve been getting questioned quite a bit at home this break). One relative asked me “What makes Easter important?” I believe the significance of Easter is news. I put it briefly, “A man was dead and now he’s not – and that changed everything.” Certainly, there’s a bit more depth to it than that. So, what is the significance of Easter? Regardless, I hope that you enjoy time with your church, family, friends, and chocolate bunnies. Have a hippity-hoppity Easter!

-Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home