Thursday, September 17, 2009

A good life lesson

by Scott Dalen


So last night, a portion of my weekly contextual work in the church was to assist our lead pastor in teaching his confirmation class. As he is teaching a portion of the Apostles Creed focusing on God the creator, he took an unusual approach. Namely, take the kids out onto a remote portion of our property (we have about 40 acres with a lot of grassland leading down into a wetland) and have a campfire. While there, discuss creation in nature. So at about 6:15pm, he asks me to go out and start up the fire, and he would have the students walk out there a little while later.


So I got some supplies together and headed out...I drove, they walked...the benefits of having a truck!!!! And then I got the fire going. It was enjoyable to spend the next 30 or so minutes with the radio playing (in the truck) and just enjoying being outside. I don't get to do that as often as I like anymore, and I have to admit that spending a little time in nature was good for the soul. It reminded me of the fact that God created me with a pretty strong love of nature.
Once the class arrived, we discussed things like this, which I found to be pretty fitting. One of the questions that we answered was about a time when God showed us something amazing in nature. I was reminded of watching a rain storm roll down over the southern Colorado mountains 2 years ago when my family was on vacation. We sat on the deck of the lodge (under the overhang) and watched the storm come rolling down past us, then on through the lower elevation of the valley in front of us. As the sun came out behind the storm, we all saw the brightest most amazing double rainbow. The best part is that it was outlining the cross of the Bible camp where we were staying.
Good times, and good memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home