Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mercy Me

by Chase

We've got a church event coming up that involves seeing Mercy Me in concert. I thought I'd share this song, which I think connects with our lectionary readings from Mark last week, this week, and next week where the disciples are having trouble understanding what the reign of God will be and how Jesus is the beginning of it. While I do believe that creation is a witness to God's power and grace, it is also the case that not every knee bends to honor his sovereignty nor does every storm simply water the flowers. In Arizona I've been told to watch the ditches because if we get the right amount of rain during the monsoon season, the cactuses and other plants there will blossom beautifully in the spring. But that's only if we get the right amount of rain. In our lectionary these 3 weeks Jesus is talking about how human authority responds to the presence of God's power and grace... fear, condemnation, mockery, murder, and denial. This reign of God is not exactly what we wanted or expected: suffering persists. "You Reign" doesn't mean everything is beautiful and everything is fine, so what does it mean? Also, if anybody has recommendations for Mercy Me songs I should make sure I know before I go, please post 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home