Friday, August 07, 2009

Minty Goodness

by Daniel

The summer is traditionally a time for two things: graduation parties and weddings. These ceremonious gatherings have a commonplace; both celebrate the commencement of “something”. That’s great and all – but I believe the only thing that makes them worth attending is the mints. You know those cheap mints that are like chalky, little morsels of manna? I love them.

Concerning weddings, June is the month of choice for most couples, though there are still those who brave the unpredictable weather of August. This is why Sonia and I decided to marry in October: the crisp, Minnesota autumn will be a refreshing exemption from the normative summer wedding. We will be heading to Red Wing tomorrow to celebrate the marriage of two of Sonia’s old friends. I dislike my itchy, tight church-pants, but I suppose I can tough it out.

I believe the wedding is going to be a Lutheran celebration. Because of this – I wonder which “typical Lutheran scripture” will be read. I wince every time I hear a rendition of Corinthians but I’m pretty sure that they’re going to read it anyway! I suppose it’s difficult to be out of the ordinary when it comes to wedding scripture. Tradition has an unfortunate way of trumphing originality. God only knows what would happen if everybody’s favorite polemicist, Paul wasn’t given his “two minutes of fame” during every wedding! I really, really don’t like Paul. There’s a lot of scripture—use it to your advantage! /rant off.

Because of this— Sonia has placed the burden of selecting our wedding scripture on me. I do suppose it makes sense that a seminarian should be in charge of the scripture. Maybe I shouldn't? I will likely pick something traditional from Song of Songs, but will reinforce it with something less typical. The psalter should have some great scripture to offer.

Regardless, I guess the bell tolls tomorrow afternoon for these two “high-school sweethearts”. I don’t really know who they are but I’m certain they will make an awkward addition to our already copious invitation list.

I better get going. I have to start fasting to squeeze into my dress clothes. I wish you a wonderful weekend. Be safe. Take care. Oi!

-Dan



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home