Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Upside Down

by Daniel

It was merely a week ago that I gave a lecture on the Israelite Wisdom tradition. There are many characteristics that identify a text as Wisdom literature, but one in particular is ironically applicable to my situation; radical reorientation. This quintessential part of Wisdom read its way into my life last night. Sonia returned home in tears to tell me that she wasn’t going to be renewed as an elementary school teacher at Webster Elementary (her current employer). This is incredibly problematic. Certainly, without her current salary we cannot stay in our present location. If she doesn’t find work in the Twin Cities she might have to move – which isn’t exactly ideal for us. Likewise, if she moves then I, too, will have to move. I was just starting to feel “at home” in our apartment.


And how does this qualify as a radical reorientation? Well – knowing what I know now about the uncertainty about the summer months and beyond, I will do my best to spend as much quality time with Sonia and Cooper (because I might not be able to find an apartment that allows dogs). A lot is “up in the air” right now. Life is funny. I hope that better news finds its way to you. Take pleasure in this beautiful day.

-Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home