Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Life in the ELCA

by Nina

Dedication: Terri, Tim, Beth
Soundtrack: "Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silent" (#198 in LBW,
#490 in ELW)

I was baptized at a TLC in the ELCA. I participated actively in my congregation and LOSD, but never LYO, YWAM, LYE, LSM, or LVC. Despite that, I still managed to wind up at seminary. I was glad to learn I did not have to do the GRE to begin (although I did take a psychological evaluation and learned about being an ENFJ). I had to choose between LSTC, and PLTS, among others. After choosing Luther, I had to decide between doing an mDiv, MA, or MSW. (I never even considered an MSM). I chose an MA in CYF. I took 1 class and the BPE prior to coming here to the Sem.

Recently, I had a problem with my CPE registration. I went to the registrar, but then got sent to CLI, who told me I also needed to talk with CYF. Exhausted, I went and took a break in the Caf at the OCC before heading to SPAS for my internship. (FYI: now that I'm nearing the end of my MA, I'm considering pursuing a PhD - but I can't do a DMin without an mDiv...I think).

The ELCA is a organization filled with acronyms. The lingo can be confusing, and we may have to stop and ask questions along the way (don't be afraid to ask). Still, we live and serve God, sing hymns with strange titles, and try to listen through the white noise for God's voice.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

LBW- Lutheran Book of Worship
ELW – Evangelical Lutheran Worship
TLC- Trinity Lutheran Church (a very common congregation name)
ELCA – Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
LOSD – Lutheran Outdoors in South Dakota
LYO – Lutheran Youth Organization
YWAM-Youth With a Mission
LYE- Lutheran Youth Encounter
LSM- Lutheran Student Movement
LVC – Lutheran Volunteer Corps
GRE – Graduate Record Exam (a required test to get into most graduate programs)
ENFJ – A Myers-Briggs personality type (Extrovert, Intuitive, Feeling, Judger)
LSTC – Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago
PLTS- Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
mDiv – Master of Divinity
MA – Master of Arts
MSW- Master in Social Work
MSM – Master of Sacred Music
CYF – Children, Youth, and Family Ministry
BPE – Bible Proficiency Exam
The Sem- “the seminary,” used in reference to Luther Seminary by many Lutherans across the upper Midwest (as if it were the only one)
CPE – Clinical Pastoral Education
CLI – Contextual Leadership Initiative
The Caf – The Svendsbye Commons Cafeteria
OCC – Olson Campus Center
SPAS – St Paul Area Synod
FYI – For Your Information
PhD – Doctor of Philosophy
DMin – Doctor of Ministry

11/11/2008 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Wow.

11/11/2008 11:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't even know the "Caf" had a name!

11/12/2008 09:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought SPAS meant Lutherans were into massages and soothing music. i guess i'll go back to the PCUSA.

11/12/2008 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger tjackson80 said...

I really like your posts. Especially the closing words of this one ... listening through the white noise seems to be my Seminary pasttime these days :)

11/13/2008 01:10:00 AM  
Blogger Edith said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11/13/2008 07:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LYE can also be known as YE - the dropped the L in 1995 but people still like to call it LYE! :) Blessings on your day and listening through the white noise. E

11/13/2008 08:00:00 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

ROtFLOL

11/14/2008 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home