Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blogging is Weird...Part II

by Nina

This is the first request and dedication.* Yeah! This one goes out to the rapper J. S. Love, who wanted to know more about why blogs are funny things to me.

I think blogs are strange because people write with such varied motivations and stances...and so many people write them. Some people write to keep in touch with family and friends who are far away (many Seminarians on internship do this). Some people write a theme blog like Stuff White People Like or Sarcastic Lutheran. Some people write blogs because they need somewhere to rant, and, to be honest, I think some people write blogs because they hope that maybe, now, someone will know who they are. Because of blog communication, maybe strangers will actually care in a world that connects virtually rather than authentically most of the time.

I think that we have resorted to blogging because we are separated....by distance...by schedules...by lack of important relationships. Maybe we don't know how to share our deepest passions, fears, rants, ideas, or questions with real people - so we blog and see how the world responds. But maybe the internet(s) is a powerfully amazing platform to share that which is most significant in our lives.

Now, I am writing a blog. I'm writing mostly because my friend, Laura, told me "you have a good voice" (not referring to my singing) and I enjoy writing - so why not. I have no idea who is reading this blog, what you (the reader) like to find, what you hope for, what is boring, what makes you mad - yet the blog lives on.

*I may remind you that this blog takes requests and dedications like a radio station. I encourage you to submit yours (as a comment, via email, or in person).

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I would like to request a blog about tie dying.

10/16/2008 12:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to tell you that I miss you, but my phone is currently not working and so I had to resort to stalking you via the internet. I miss you. I hope you are having a happy week. And I agree with Laura, you do have a good voice (and I would even say in the song-leading way ;-D)

10/18/2008 07:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i third the motion--you have a great voice. My request is a variation on Scott's--a blog about one of Scott's ties dying. And one about Boccaccio's Decameron. And one about testicular cancer in Brazilian, tree-dwelling monkeys. And one about the note E flat. And one about multi-line telephones that don't have either the Hold function or the Speaker function.

10/21/2008 05:29:00 PM  
Blogger aase said...

oh! and one about party lines. telephone party lines, i mean.

10/22/2008 07:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why don't any of you write about your classes, theology or how seminary is shaping you to become a pastor?

10/27/2008 07:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about writing on what election season is like while studying at seminary? how your theology studies inform your politics, or vice versa?

11/01/2008 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home