Saturday, September 20, 2008

Let us all hope that we are preceded in this world by a love story

by Jeni

This weekend finds me back up north for the second time this month for my friend Mia's wedding. At the groom's dinner last night, when we all put or name tags on, name tags that included our names and how we know the couple, I put on my name tag "Mia's Friend." Mia's dad said that I should have put "Mia's soul friend." You see, I get to preach my first wedding sermon for Mia and her soon-to-be husband Matt. The label makes sense, though it is a little backwards.

Mia is the saint who put the bible into my hands for the first time. When we graduated from high school (we're about to celebrate our 10 year reunion -- I'm getting old!) she gave it as a gift, one that has obvious implications to my life and vocation today. Where would I be without saints like Mia?

The text they chose for the day is, you've guessed it, 1 Corinthians 13. I have to say that I'm pretty jazzed about preaching, even on that text, today. The sermon has three-p characteristics: it Preaches, it's Personable, it's Pithy (short). I guess I'll find out if it was a good one or not when we examine it in Tuesday morning's preaching lab, but for today, I couldn't be more excited.

The title of the blog comes from the movie "Sweet Land." It was the quote that was the red thread throughout the sermon. The quote comes from the book Of Time and Memory by Don Snyder. But the movie was based on the book Sweet Land by Will Weaver. I haven't read the book though a friend highly recommends it. I can commend to you the movie. It is, as its title mentions, very sweet.

1 Comments:

Blogger margaret said...

you better watch the movie and read the story. i went to high school with will weaver's kids. prof. rogness gave me the story "gravestone made of wheat." which the movie is based on. it is lovely. told me that it is just like the people up north. and it is. it is a rogness recommendation! so read it. and will weaver tells stories of my chidhood...and i suspect yours...and has cool (lutheran) kids.

9/22/2008 09:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home