Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chemin de Jerusalem

by Chase

When I first began contemplating the prayer labyrinth it seemed clear to me that this was a practice that spanned cultures. It reminded me of walking meditation done by buddhists. There is running meditation too! Today I present to you my previously promised simple report on the history and nature of prayer labyrinths. (Note: this entry lacks citations to trusted third party sources)

I have returned from my journey to the center of the information superhighway. I have discovered one simple test to know whether you are in a labyrinth or in a maze. A maze has many possible branching paths to an exit or to a dead end. A labyrinth has only one route to a center. So, if you are at a dead end then you are in a maze. If you have no navigational choices you are in a labyrinth.

Apparently we were all correct when we supected that this was a pagan practice that Christians adopted during those medieval times. And, we were also correct in thinking that their history extends back to the minotaur's labyrinth of greek mythology. You remember the story? Minotaur in the centers, a man enters and trails a string behind him so that he knows the way out, then he kills the half man half bull with his escape route planned out.

Ok, but if there was only one way in and out why would he have needed the string? I guess over the years labyrinths changed and became independent of mazes and by the time we were all medieval they were putting them into the floors of cathedrals.

According to wikipedia the minotaur's labyrinth is only the 2nd most famous labyrinth. The first most famous labyrinth is a prayer labyrinth set into the floor of Chartres Cathedral in France. Way to go france! The funny part for me in all of this is that 2 years ago I visited Chartres Cathedral and didn't notice a thing! There was no sign, that I remember, or anything else that would call your attention to the floor other than your feet. I wandered around looking at the walls, looking at the ceiling, and of course the huge rose window. But, I missed the labyrinth.

What do you know... full circle.

Please see also: Corn Maze (similar to a labyrinth, but punnier), also enjoyed by Europeans.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

That David Bowie movie screws everything up for those who haven't read your blog...or anything else about labyrinths.

9/24/2008 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Chase said...

Oh man, I forgot about that labyrinth! Maybe that's the most famous labyrinth. Good call. You should blog about the movie for people who haven't seen it. Is there theological import?

9/24/2008 09:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home