Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Things Are Changing

by Scott Dalen


Its official. My son inherited the genes from his eyes from every possible relative except me. My wife has had glasses since she was in 2nd grade. Her sisters both have glasses. Her parents both have glasses. My side. Mom and Dad have had them as long as I can remember. My brother and sister both got them at a young age. One of my nieces actually had to get them when she was about 3. I held out. I didn't need glasses until I had been at my current job for about a year, which would have been about 3 years ago...making me about 28 when I got glasses. I have the smallest amount of nearsightedness that can be corrected by glasses. The only time I need them is when I'm staring at a computer for more than about 5 minutes at a time.

Ironically, I don't have them on now as I stare at the computer typing this...weird.

As you can see from the picture above...my little man is getting glasses. A year ago, his eyes were in the same shape mine are...what the doctor described as level 1. Glasses were optional at that point. Now he's at a level 3. No longer optional. So we checked out all the different frames, and this is what he chose. I actually liked them as well. My wife (via picture messages on the phone) wasn't sold entirely on the blue, but in the end, he's the one who has to wear them. He likes them, so we went with blue.

In my son's eye department, things are changing.

I have 2 days of work left this week and then all of next week, and then things change for me. I'm coming right up on the beginning of CPE and my interim position at the church. I'm both excited and scared of this change. Excited from the standpoint of gaining new ministry experience and developing my pastoral identity in CPE. Scared from the financial standpoint of this change. Scared to see how things may continue to change over the next 4-5 months. Scared of a lot...but not so scared that I'm not going to take that first step.

While I was on vacation, trudging up a mountain road and attempting to keep up with seasoned (and acclimated) councilors that were a dozen years younger than me (when did I get old?), I did a lot of praying and God kept bringing my mind to two different churches. One supported me a year ago and the second has "adopted" for the purpose of support for seminary. The first church was making their decision that day. When I got back to camp, I had a voice mail. I listened to it and it was the council president informing me that I had received the scholarship. The second church has invited me and my family to come down to join them for worship and a blessing ceremony this weekend.

Okay God...I hear you.

One more thing is about to change around here. The kids are about to head off for school. It starts Tuesday and both of them are going. One to 1st Grade and the second to Pre-K. How the heck did that happen already? They're growing to fast...which means I'm getting old.

This is not good.

But yet, it's so good.

I know...its a strange paradox of good/anti-good isn't it?

Crazy stuff man...crazy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home