Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Its Official

by Scott Dalen

Well, its official.

Yesterday was my interview for the CPE program that I've been looking at. Honestly, interview isn't even the right word for it. It was really more of a meeting to discuss the program and to meet/greet the supervisor.

My program is centered in Cherokee, IA, the same place as the program that I nearly took a year ago. There wasn't a lot different about this time around, although it is a different supervisor than a year ago. This was the main reason for me to go meet with them. Essentially (from what I garnered during the meeting) I was already considered "in the program." This made the interview a whole lot easier...and short. It takes me about 70-75 minutes to drive there from home, so not drastic in terms of travel time. However, in the desire to be punctual, I left about 15 earlier than I really needed to, which got me there about a half hour ahead of schedule, but that was okay.

Admittedly, I was pretty nervous on the drive down there. Not quite sure why, but I was. It's funny how God knows just how to smack me upside the head when I need it though. As I was driving, I was listening to a Christian radio station called the Refuge. My signal was getting a little spotty as I drove, and I was about ready to pop in a tape (yes, I still have a cassette player in my truck) when all of the sudden the signal got crystal clear and the song "Walk on the Water" by Brit Nicole came on (here it here). Listening to the song pretty well turned off the part of my brain that's been so hesitant about this whole deal...Yep, I hear you God.

Getting back to the interview itself...as I mentioned, it went fine and lasted all of about 20 minutes. After that I sat and talked with the program organizer (and also my main contact over the past few months) about the logistics of the program itself and then I was on my way. All in all I was in the building for about half an hour and then I headed for home.

With my acceptance into the program, the next step was to takes steps to discuss the next few months with work. I had a phone call with our manager this morning, and we are planning on me taking a leave of absence from work during the course of CPE, which will last from the tail end of August till the first week of January. Then I'll go to campus for my normal two week intensive, returning to work at the end of January or beginning of February.

In addition, I also swung out to the church today and had a very brief (in the neighborhood of about 45 seconds) meeting with the pastor and church administrator, formally accepting the position of interim lay minister.

So, I guess this whole deal is a reality now. Now maybe I can stop worrying myself about it...and just go do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home