Monday, January 11, 2010

Once Again

by Scott Dalen

FINALLY THE ORANGE HAT HAS COME BACK TO LUTHER SEMINARY!!!!!!!

It is sad that as I type that, I have visions of the professional wrestler The Rock, as this mirrors his catch phrase. I once heard him utter this catch phrase live as I attended a house show right here in the twin cities. "Finally the Rock has come back to Minneapolis!"

But I digress.

In case you haven't figured it out by my opening line, I'm back on campus again. Much to my delight. As a DLer, I only descend upon campus a couple times a year, and it is always a pleasure to do so.

Yesterday I got home from church and completed my packing. We sat down to lunch and then after saying a family prayer I jumped in the truck and headed out. Kudo's to Twin Cities traffic (or lack there of) yesterday about 3pm, as it took me 3 hours on the dot, door to door.

After getting stuck at the door (locked) of Stub Hall for a couple minutes, I got in, got my keys, and found that I had completed a trifecta of rooms. This being my third intensive, I now have three rooms in a row that I have occupied. 2 of the three have been double rooms, which is nice...especially when practicing a sermonette very late into the night, which I do by pacing around the room continously. (Thankfully I'm not taking Telling the Story again this time around).

Side note...my friend Lisa just made an excellent "When Harry Met Sally" reference. I was very impressed. "I'll have what she's having." You know the scene.

As we all (my cohort classmates) came trickling in, we all started standing in the hallway catching up. One arrival came in, sat down and said "Our conversations rock, its like we never left."

Lisa just read what I wrote and asked "Who said that?" I answered her and she said "Oh I should have known that." She should have known that, she was in the room at the time.

But I digress again.

After awhile, we all (all three cohorts) gathered together for supper and a meeting. After that broke up, a few of us took our initial trip to Mannings, and I was pleased. That first schooner (a beautiful 32 ounce glass of beer) was wonderful. I have been longing for that since June, when I was last here.

The first evening was great, but the first night was long. My heater makes loud noises periodically so I woke up a lot. And as per usual, I was awake by 6 this morning. A short night, but that is my speed while I'm here.

Classes don't start till tomorrow, so today is a day to finish up last second reading, but also to continue to build community. We sit around, we talk, we laugh, we cry. For two weeks, we live life together and it is such a blessing to have that comraderie together. Critics of the DL program have asked how community can occurr when people are together so little, but we disagree...with fervor.

I'll be making pretty regular posts while I'm here...so tune in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Welcome back Scott! What class are you taking while you're here?

1/12/2010 09:57:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Dalen said...

Hey Amber...I'm in RTA and Church & Music

1/12/2010 11:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Judy Hedman said...

Welcome back to campus. I hope you had a driver when you went to Mannings the other night. We want to have you around to come back to campus many more times.

1/12/2010 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home