Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

by Jenni

In January, people often make resolutions for what they’d like to accomplish during the new year. Normally I don’t make resolutions because why mess with perfected mediocrity? But I thought I’d share the top three things I want to change about myself in 2010.

1. I will work to understand that television is NOT real life. I know, hard to believe isn’t it? I will repeat every morning, “I do not need to smile with my eyes.” I will stop telling my children when they’re doing their homework, “You know what the judges are expecting. Make it work.” Apparently, most people are not interested in what the symbolism of Locke/Fake Locke means on LOST or what the regeneration means to the future of the show in Doctor Who and how it’s historically impacted the mythology.

2. I will start looking my professors in the eye. I’ve admitted before that I am intimidated by people in leadership positions, but let’s be honest, some of these professors are younger than me. If I can raise my voice in a public place to tell my kids to stop whining or we will get in the car and go home and they will not have any TV for the rest of the month, I can certainly make eye contact with a teacher. While they may have Hebrew-reading, systematic confessional superpowers, I have the superpowers of being a mom (and I can see what you’re doing, so stop it!).

3. I will stop greeting strangers at the mall with, “So, how do you feel about a relational/incarnational ministry with those in the first third of life?” Apparently, not everyone thinks about a relational ministry with children, youth and their families. Apparently, most people in the mall don’t even know what “incarnational” even means. And apparently, people don’t like it when strangers sit down outside of the dressing room and start asking questions through the door.

Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margaret said...

Jenni, I have not made any hard on the book resolution this year. I simply look forward to a great and even year of 2010. There is something about 2010 that makes me feel joyful and dutiful.I do look forward to it. I mean,I am already in 2010 and enter into each day with joy and great expectation.

1/06/2010 08:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home