Saturday, March 07, 2009

right in the city

by Nina

In the last week, I have been surprised by all the things that happen right in the middle of the city. I moved here from the woods. Seriously. Change the scenery from a quiet village in a mountain(ish) valley to smack in the middle of the metro Twin Cities. In the last week, however I have been gifted by the surprises of nature (thank God!).

Last weekend, I went snowshoeing in the woods around the seminary apartments. While I have spent plenty of time walking through these woods - there's something different about woods in winter. Quiet. Gentle. Feels not-so-much like the city. Wonderful.



Then....this is big news people... I have to draw it out and make you wonder what could be so impressive to create this much suspense- well, as I was walking from building to building on those oversized-street-like sidewalks around campus, something phenomenal happened. Right in the city, right on the Luther Seminary campus, right in the tree outside the library was an bald eagle. Of course, this is an impressive sized bird. And although I've watched bald eagles fish for extended periods of time, and knew where bald eagle nests were in western South Dakota - it was quite a delightful surprise to find right here in the city.


1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I always loved walking in those woods on my way too and from the academic buildings. Felt like a mini-retreat, especially in winter. I'm glad present-day students still feel the same way. Great pictures!

3/09/2009 04:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home