Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ash Weds - Recap

by Tim K. Snyder

Coursework. Community. Context.

These are the three word that we use to describe the journey of being a DL student. This past week was a heavy one for me. I spent Monday-Wednesday at a cabin in the hill-country (120 miles from where I live). I spent three days in retreat writing and reading mainly coursework, but also working on some creative writing of my own. I then drove to Austin to St. Martin's Evangelical Lutheran Church - my context. I arrived just in time to for the Ash Wednesday liturgy and Imposition of the Ashes. I continue to be reminded that I am dust and that to dust I shall return (that text showed up in our Pentateuch reading) as I continually become overwhelm with my call as both student & minister. For anyone who thinks DL is an easier format for graduate theological education, I hereby invite you into my life for Lent. Throughout this lenten season, I'll me documenting my own "dust" moments - those times and places where the struggle, hardship and reality of humanity is so evident. And so I'll record moments - big and small - where I am fully aware of my brokeness, my humanity.

Dust Reminder # 1 - After a hard week last week I still haven't recovered enough to post online in any of my courses. I got close - but I'm still a day off. There just simply isn't enough of me to go around at the moment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

So you're "like butter scraped over too much bread," as Bilbo Baggins said. In your "thinness," remember that you're not alone. A 4th C is "cohort!"

Susan

2/28/2009 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Um, nothing but respect for the DL life. It's really exciting to read and hear about it. Thanks for sharing.

3/01/2009 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home