Friday, February 27, 2009

Falling on snow

by Margaret Obaga

When a friend took me through a "class" on how to walk on the snow and ice I thought I learnt enough to keep me from falling. That was not to be. Yesterday, I fell full body on snow and ice, and in the full glare of the blue clear sky. Thankfully, no harm came my way. This falling act met others too. I am aware of at least three who fell on the slippery ice. In my culture we say, "slipperiness has no regard for gentility" with my use of the word"gentility" meaning "respectable person." Does this sound like the human inclination to "falling?"
So, if I have no control over my falling on snow and particularly, on risky ice, how can I live and walk in this part of the world where snow and ice reign supreme half the year? Well, one way might be to heed to the city of Saint Paul's declaring "snow emergency," and take the necessary cover. Although a temporary measure, at least to allow for ploughing of snow to be done, it will be helpful for your safety. The rest of personal safety is really a matter of being alert and knowledgeable on some basic safety measures of ice and snow. In this regard then, my lesson on"how to walk on snow and ice" is far from over. As long as I am in a context where snow and ice form part of weather conditions half of the year, common sense and deep awareness of risks and dangers of this climatic phenomenon would be worth investing. The analogy I find here is one which opens me up to Law/Gospel theological dynamic as I "walk on the snow and ice" in life's faith journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home