Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A day in the hospital

by Scott Dalen

My wife had minor ear surgery today. Most importantly, she's done and all went well.

We arrived at the hospital at 7 this morning. We did the whole check in thing. Hurry up and wait. After a few minutes, they came and got her and took her back to get changed into her gown. After about 15 minutes, they came and got me and I was able to go in the room and wait with her.

No huge surprise, they were running behind, so we waited nearly an hour past the scheduled time for the surgery. Finally, they came and got her and I went back to the waiting room. I spent the first hour attemping to read a book for the upcoming J-Term, but I really wasn't accomplishing much in the way of retention. I'll admit that I've never felt that nervous before.

Finally, about 11am, they came and got me and took me to the consultation room. She was done with surgery and the doctor would "be in to see me" in a few minutes. I waited an hour in this tiny room all by myself. Needless to say my mind was reeling. Turns out the doctor just forgot to come talk to me in his rush to get onto the next surgery. Lovely. But finally they got him on the phone and he told me that everything went okay with the surgery.

Fast forward another half hour and they finally came to get me to take me into see her. That was a relief. I'm sitting here with her now, trying not to chuckle at the big bandage wrapped around her head.

I'm amazed at the relief of being back with her again. I've never felt so edgy and powerless before. This is certainly a first for me. But now that I know she's okay, the sense of humor is coming back again.

Many thanks to all the people that were texting me throughout the course of the morning. It was good to know that I wasn't alone today.

The thought did cross my mind today that if I was in CPE I could try to offer myself care...that made me chuckle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home