Thursday, December 10, 2009

Snow...yuck

by Scott Dalen

Have you ever heard the expression "life got in the way?"

That's kinda how I've felt in terms of blogging over the course of the past week and a half. I have had high expectations of getting a posting done. I've had thoughts of subjects to talk about and then stuff just comes up to get in the way.

Well, today I'm taking some initiative and I'm getting something written.

As I sit here pondering on the many subjects that I could talk about from the past 8 days, my mind is drawn (as is my eye) to the very bright white stuff on the ground outside. I am, of course, talking about the most evil form of precipitation...snow.

Winter in Iowa...I swear Satan had a hand in it's creation, just don't tell any of my professors that I just said that, particularly Dr. Sponheim, he would not be pleased.

As with just about everyone in the midwest over the past few days, we got the blizzard. It started in Tuesday through the day with snow falling heavier and heavier as the day went on. The wind started in through the afternoon and things were getting heavy enough that the school dismissed early. I went and picked up my son from school and took him to my in-law's house. Mom in law also works for the school district so she was getting off at the same time and agreed to watch the little whipper snapper while my wife and I were still working.

Once work got done I headed for home and did the first batch of shoveling. I knew there would be more, but I wanted to at least make a dent.

The wind was howling pretty soon after that and we knew that school would again be canceled for Wednesday along with pretty much everything else in town. But I knew I'd still be going to work in the morning. Knowing that I'd be up early shoveling along with the really loud wind made for a lousy night's sleep, and at 5:30am I was out with the shovel. The wind was still going nuts and visibility was terrible, but by golly I had to be to work on time. Fortunately I work right in town and the wind kept the main roads passable. So I did make it okay.

As the day went on, conditions began to improve. The snow stopped and the wind calmed down and we even got to see the sun (and some pretty impressive sun dogs, too bad I didn't have a camera with me).

Now, a day later, people are still digging out. And I find it very amusing to see a dump truck in the parking lot across the street getting filled with snow to haul away.

I wonder where they dump snow.

Perhaps I will ponder on that for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home