Friday, December 11, 2009

I met the president

by Jenni

Today I got to meet the president. No, not THAT president. Today I had the opportunity to meet President Bliese.

I know what you’re thinking, but when it comes to authority figures, I’m really old-school and meeting them is a big deal to me. I have a natural respect for the position and feel intimidated by the perceived authority. I become unnaturally quiet when professors are around and if you’ve met me, you know how unnatural that really is. So when you’re the president of the school, I now know I turn into a babbling idiot when we meet.

To his credit, President Bliese didn’t treat me like a babbling idiot. He was quite nice and showed interest in the decidedly non-theological and non-missional direction I took the conversation in. In one breath, with my hand outstretched, I gave him my name, the fact that I knew a family member, a passing comment on my addiction to TV and that I worked in the Communication’s Office. He smiled, nodded his head and shook my hand. We chatted, ate lunch, he talked a little work with a staff member who stopped by and then he quietly slipped from the table.

So, why am I mentioning this? Well one brief topic led us (and fellow blogger Tim who I was lucky enough to meet at the same meal—We had a really interesting conversation proving that I can string thoughts together) to the Life@Luther site and that we wrote for it. So maybe, just maybe, he might stop by to visit and I wanted to show him that the silly woman at the lunch table today can actually put coherent paragraphs together. Hi President Bliese!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Jenni, I sure hope you got his autograph!! He's celebrity status if you ask me!! :)

12/13/2009 08:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home