Sunday, November 22, 2009

An Early Morning Encounter

by Scott Dalen

So I'm sitting here with my kids, just waiting for it to be time to head out to church. For some reason, they thought it was a good idea to watch the Spanish version of Seasame Street. That's a little strange, but okay.

Today is a big day at my church. We are having a celebration and ground breaking for our new education wing. Due to that, my wife is on duty along with the youth for the meal after church today. They are having maid-rites or taverns or sloppy joes, whatever you chose to call them. They actually prepared the meat on Thursday in big roaster pans and left it in the fridge at church.

Last night my wife started getting nervous that the meat wouldn'twarm up fast enough, so she wanted to get the pans out of the fridge early this morning. They are too heavy for her to lift so she asked me to go out about 6:30 this morning. Not something I was super keen to do, but it wasn't the end of the world. I was awake anyway, although just barely.

I headed out the church, and not surprisingly, I was the only one there. Everything was dark and shadowy. For reference, the church stands just outside of town and so is pretty much by itself just off the highway. I fully expected to be by myself while I was there.

So I parked out front and headed inside, making my way through the dark fellowship hall into the kitchen. It took me about 30 seconds to pull out the pans and place them in the roasters. AS I was walking back out again, I thought I'd swing into the bathroom.

I should add a side note. This whole time (since I'd left the house) I'd been reciting the sermon on the mount in my early morning-just got up-gruff-very non Scott like voice.

As I was in the bathroom, my partner paster arrived at the church. I came walking out of the bathroom talking in my gruff voice and I hear "Good morning."

I recognized his voice right away, but I imagine that he had no idea who I was. It was pretty dark in the church so I was just a shadowy shape to him. I looked around trying to find where he was and then spotted him walking up the side hallway. I started walking towards him and heard "Who else is here on this early morning?"

"Morning Bob, its just Scott."

I explained why I was there and we had a laugh about it, but I can imagine he was a little on the freaked out side to see someone walking around in the dark at 6:45 in the morning.

"Well, I'm glad it was you, and not someone else. I'll see you in a couple hours Scott."

And then I headed for home again.

An interesting start to the day to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home