Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Firsts in life

by Margaret Obaga


Fishing has never been an issue of discussion for me. Not because of what I know about fishing or even liking it, but much more to do with what I am unaware of due to cultural taboos and norms of the community that I was born and raised in. These cultural issues about fishing demand that women must neither fish nor eat fish. Although I do not do the actual fishing, I do actually like to eat fish particularly, the tilapia type which is commonly found in Kenya's fresh water lake Victoria. So, when I found myself in the company of some dear friends of mine on lake Wapogasset, fishing became an issue of discussion. Although the question whether I could I fish or not dis not arise, of intense discussion was the fact that a first time fisherwoman caught a two pound fish. Whether it was due to sheer good luck or simple logic that I caught the first fish, I do not know, at least for now. What I know is that, an opportunity availed itself, without my prompting or any effort. The conditions were right for my entry into the 'fishing industry.' It turned out to be the natural thing to do. This was not without the help and support of friends like Pat and Diane, who showed me how to hold the fish line and to cast into the lake, which I did, I caught my first fish ever within the first thirty seconds of casting the hook. I was thrilled, I was thoroughly overjoyed. My friends were mesmerized and rejoiced with me at my quick catch (luck or what). Although I did not take home the fish for food, but returned it to its natural habitat, the waters of lake Wapogasset, I was content with the knowledge that I did, most certainly, catch fish.
Whatever the case, I had had my catch. This 'catch' gave me the confidence to go on to do other 'great works' of going into a two seater boat and venturing into the waters of lake Wapogasset for site seeing. These firsts were, for me a great way to spend my Summer. I have been busy with preparing for comprehensive exams, which are taken as a requirement for the Ph.D students as they enter into dissertation writing. So, taking an afternoon off to go for a fun-filled picnic, was most rewarding and refreshing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home