Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I missed it

by Nina

Warning: confession coming.

I have not been to chapel yet this summer (gasp!). Partially because I am traveling so much, but I also haven't had much reason to be around campus when I find myself actually sleeping in my own bed. But today I had a meeting on campus and headed to chapel when it was finished.

It was interesting to walk into a full chapel service today. In the summer, because there are generally less people around - we have chapel services in Northwestern, which is smaller space. They ran out of bulletins. I had trouble finding a seat as the congregation sang the opening hymn. Dr. Karoline Lewis preached on Mark 4. Her word today spoke truth in the most fearfully dark places of my heart. The sermon dared to proclaim hope in the realities we endure - when it feels like Jesus is carelessly sleeping through life-threatening storms. It was everything I love in a sermon: faithful to the text, connected deeply to our lives and brutally honest about our life as followers of Christ. Dr. Lewis was vulnerable and truth-telling about this hope we have. I wish you they had broadcast it, because it would be well worth your time to listen. Unfortunately, Luther doesn't broadcast chapel online in the summer (I guess). I am thankful and glad that I made it to chapel today to be encouraged in faith and celebrate Holy Communion.

I guess I've missed chapel these last few weeks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed about chapel not being archived online in the summer. I would love to listen in when I am done with CPE in the evenings.

6/25/2009 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home