Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Finishing a Thesis is a Big Deal

by Nina

I have been MIA from the blogosphere for awhile, but in my absence I finished my thesis. Yay!

As part of the final Children, Youth, and Family class, we write an 18-22 page (mini) thesis, present it to our classmates and the community, and submit it into a competition. I know it's not the same as a "real" thesis - but it still feels like a big deal. It certainly combats the idea that a Children, Youth, and Family degree (or concentration) is not a serious academic pursuit. It was a great challenge for me to dig so deeply into a topic and try to articulate my argument clearly in those 20 pages.

I now feel like I'm in a weird recovery mode. I'm not sure if it's after-thesis-fatigue or if I'm getting sick, but it has been difficult to have focus and motivation in my other classes (which I have been severely neglecting) and work-related projects and responsibilities (which I also have been lagging on). I have found it difficult to get through a whole day without a nap...I really hope I'm not getting sick.

Thesis or no thesis - it seems this is the state of many around here these days. People are ready to have a break from insane schedules and coursework. As my friend Edith often says, "This, too, shall pass." We are almost there!

2 Comments:

Anonymous mark said...

super yay! for finishing thesisesis-es. hang in there for the final stretch of the semester. do you need a stuffed unicorn to help you make it through? i know where to find one.

5/01/2009 10:24:00 PM  
Anonymous markhannan said...

dark was the night:

http://pitchfork.com/news/35240-report-idark-was-the-nighti-live-new-york-ny-050309/

5/05/2009 06:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home