Thursday, January 29, 2009

home base :: not exactly a seminary classroom...

by Tim K. Snyder

CAPTION: THE WINDOW FRAME NEXT TO MY FAVORITE STUDY SPOT IN AUSTIN. NOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU FIND IN THE SEMINARY CLASSROOM...

Whew. It has been a while. Sorry. My three week journey across the country and back again for JTerm and conferences is now over, I'm well rested and adjusting to a new life rhythm. As a DL student, I work full time for a mission development - The Netzer Co-Op - where I serve as one of two "Curators." Together my friend Brianna and I faciliate a community that re-imagining, experimenting and failing. This is the context that my seminary studies are rooted in. This journey is the lab to my theology, my study of the scriptures/languages, history and ministry leadership.

This week I have been getting used to my new workspace. The Co-Op moved its offices to Austin, Texas (5o miles from where I live in Seguin) and so I commute three days a week there. When it is time for me to study, I usually hit Spiderhouse Coffeehouse, just a block from our location. At my favorite booth there I am profoundly reminded of my cultural context. This context is skeptical of God at best.

What does it mean to do theological education [distributed] from this place?

How does this bi-vocational calling: mission developer / student demand that I proclaim a loving, God - no really a God who loves all creation and yearns for its transformation?

How might this place and this context transform me?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

Great post, Tim. I'm really excited to hear more about this whole context business; you are the wave of the future.

1/30/2009 10:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

Really powerful, just as I have come to expect from you. I've thought about your context and the word that comes to mind is "doubt." Is doubt OK? Inevitable? The refuge of the fearful, or of the truly brave? Does God demand our certainty--or offer us God's own?

Just random thought on a Saturday night~
Susan

1/31/2009 07:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

Just thought I would say hi and remind you how awesome name tags are! :) It was good to meet you in New Orleans and I look forward to hearing more about the co-op.

-Paige
(from the college of developers conference)

2/06/2009 09:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home