Saturday, January 24, 2009

fifteen-two, fifteen-four, a pair for six and a run of three makes nine.

by Jeni

I'm not sure when I learned how to play cribbage, but I know who taught it to me: my Grandma. I must have been old enough to just hold the cards in my small hands. Grandma would shuffle and help me count my points. I would have to pick which cards to place into the crib (but could always ask for advice) and would have to do my best to count points, trying to make 15 and pairs and runs and 31, or at least to try to get the last card. Once our cards were laid, I tried to pick out the fifteen for twos and pairs and runs and double runs, but always had help. I've had many 19 hands and no 29 hands over the years and learned from Grandma to never, ever ever in a million years to throw a seven into an opponents crib.

I consider myself a pretty good cribbage player, but I know it's all about the hand you're dealt. Sometimes you skunk and sometimes you get skunked. Sometimes you make it to the finish in 12 hands, sometimes 20. Though skill is essential (in what you throw into the crib and how you play your hand), it's all about the cards you're dealt. It seemed to be the lesson my Grandma was telling me: play the hand you're dealt and do your best. You can make up for a stinker hand and you can blow the best possible hand.

Over Christmas my Grandma died. She was 89 and lived a good life. She was my last and closest grandparent and she loved me and I loved her. We celebrated her life and commended her body into God's hands on the first of this month, the first day of the new year. We grandkids got to collect a few of her things. I took her two homer hankies from the World Series of 1987 and 1991. She was an avid Twins fan. I also got to take the cribbage board we all played on.

Last night was Colin's and my 5th month anniversary. Not significant enough for a date (especially after a great honeymoon in Hawaii), we stayed home, watched TV over the internet and played about 12 games of cribbage. Colin won them all. He even skunked me once. I've never lost so badly, except to my dad and my grandma. I guess the board isn't a good one for me, but I'd rather lose than play on any other. That board holds the memories of my childhood and even more importantly, memories of love and my Grandma.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeni,

Thanks for sharing your grandma-and-cribbage memories--I'm so sorry you've lost her. I lost my grandfather 5 years ago Christmas Day. He was my "cribbage guru" and I remember everything he ever taught me about playing. When my son was small, I taught him as well and we enjoy being able to pick up a game anywhere we have a deck of cards (which he conveniently carries in his pants pocket!) His personal memories of my grandfather are as a very sick old man, so cribbage is a way to keep my grandfather's positive legacy alive for my son. I hope that someday you, too, will be able to pass on that special heritage and with it the warm memories of the love you shared with your grandma.

Susan

1/25/2009 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for a beautiful post Jeni. My 89 year-old grandfather taught me to play cribbage. Counting a hand is like poetry and I thank you for the reminder.

Brian

1/27/2009 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home