Thursday, October 09, 2008

This Place Is Unstable

by Nina

This place is unstable. It's like trying to do yoga balance poses on abandoned farm equipment - risky, unlikely, and wonderful. The Luther Seminary Community is in constant flux. The slight majority of seminarians (those doing mDiv degrees) are in school for 4 years. The first two years are spent on campus, then an off-campus internship, and then a final year on campus. If you follow that pattern, you will see that each year 1/3 of these students remain on campus. The other 2/3 are brand new or returning to a campus of students they have never met. While there are students who are PhD, MA, or going at their own pace, this is the decided reality for most here.

It came as a shock to me this fall that 2/3 of my friends are no longer here. I guess that is my punishment for being friendly and non-cliquey with those in my class. I have close friends starting their first calls, out on internship on both coasts, in Arizona and Texas, and some that have remained here. I just found out another friend will be leaving after this semester (following his wife to her new job). It is difficult to say goodbye to those we love and treasure...just as it is difficult to meet and invest in new relationships.

This community was such a blessing to me when I first came - but it is not stable. It is certainly not the same as it was 4 months ago, or 8 months ago, or at this time last year. We miss those who are no longer here with us.

This year, though, I have found another group of friends. A group returning from their internships. While we have mutual friends who are all over the country right now - most of us had never met before this fall. Yet, I feel like I have been grafted into their community. I have been a part of meals, baseball games, gatherings, Manning's excursions, movies, late nights, shopping trips, celebrations, worship, ceaseless generosity, and (of course) athleticism in their midst. It is such a blessing to be part of community...even it isn't what I expected or knew before. The unstable community is surely one with a stronger foundation than the individuals who are here at this moment.

This community is a blessing, even in its instability.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written my friend and well said. muchas gracias.

10/09/2008 11:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, sister. The flux of this place can indeed break a heart. But I'm lucky to be among those softening the blow for you this year. You are super.

10/10/2008 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Does that mean that I'm quickly becoming one of your unstable friends?

10/10/2008 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thanks for the shout out to those of us out here in California.
I'm finding this internet thing to be quite a useful tool to try and help keep everyone somewhat connected. Thanks for the blog.

10/10/2008 07:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were grafted in as well, it's nice to have another girl to go underwear shopping with.

10/13/2008 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger aase said...

instability rocks. thanks for the props to the coast on the right...it's as far right as i've ever been...

10/13/2008 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home