Wednesday, October 08, 2008

iBike

by Nina

On my way to my internship today, I discovered on a school billboard that today, October 8, is International Walk to School Day. Did you celebrate? Was it fun? Were you lazy? Did you drive or have your mom drop you off?

While my "school" right now is an internship, I biked there today. (It would take a really long time to walk). It is so wonderful to be outside. I experience the world is such a different way than from the seat of a car. From the seat of my bike, I enjoy the smell of fall, the delicious sound of leaves crumpling beneath my tires, the thrill of feeling the vibrations of a train through my feet, the hot aroma of diesel exhaust, the cool wind and warm sun, smell of tar and seasoned fries and fresh pizza.

Let me tell you life is different, slower, better when you take time to be outside (not in traffic) and notice things like little girls in hot pink skipping down the sidewalk, or dead squirrels, or the joy of being out of breath, or where all the yard sales are this weekend. C'mon people - give it a try. You may just be pleasantly surprised at the excitement you feel by getting passed (in daringly close proximity) by a city bus, or barely missing hitting a dirty diaper, or cruising at high speeds down long hills. Go on, give it a try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home