Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Oh The Places You'll Go

by Chase

A year ago I didn't know and could not have imagined that I would be here, in Casa Grande, Arizona for my internship year. But, I believe that this is the place I am called to be. The people are welcoming and supportive, and many are actually from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. In the evening I have been reading The Western Stories of Elmore Leonard, one of which was made into the movie 3:10 to Yuma (Russell Crowe, Christian Bale). A few months ago I grabbed this book from the shelf of Half Price books on Fairview without a clue that his stories are set in the "Arizona Territory." But, once I realized that, I was sold. So far, his stories seem to portray a harsh environment filled with cold people whose survival in this state depends on the will to live and occasionally the will to end life. It is fun to read these types of stories when you get to wake up each day in the Arizona Territory and discover that the people you are surrounded by are just as warm as any others you've met, maybe warmer on account of the 110 degree weather every day. I'll post some pics soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home