Thursday, June 25, 2009

Neptune's Rocking Horse

by Nina

What kind of person comes to seminary?...I mean really - isn't seminary full of 22-year old Religion majors with neatly trimmed beards who've just graduated from upstanding private colleges (especially Lutheran in this institution's case) and have wanted to be pastor's since they were 12? Yes. And no.

Case in point: me.

I came to seminary after working in youth ministry for a few years. I graduated from a cheap (and LARGE) public university with a degree in Zoology and Physiology. I'm still not sure if I want to be a pastor, or how I will serve the church when I leave this place. But I am sure of my call to serve, and to study in this place. I do not have a beard.

Case in point #2: my friend Tony.

Tony came to Luther Seminary after a career in the performance industry. He is a wonderful singer and a talented actor - yet finds himself here at Luther, now studying to be a pastor. I just finished watching Neptune's Rocking Horse, a 1997 film he had a major role in.

You can catch a brief review found in the NY Times here. It was a captivating look at how we deal with violence, homophobia, racism, and self image.

I am continually intrigued and amazed at the stories and jagged roads of those who find themselves here at Luther.

1 Comments:

Anonymous T. Fair said...

Thanks for the kind review, Nina. I don't think I ever read this NY Times review before. "Glory Days" - recognition is a nice thing. Hopefully, it'll lead to something good for somebody somewhere.

7/09/2009 09:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home