Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Scientist in Godly Discernment

by Nina

I am getting a bit tired and sweaty wrestling with discernment.




















I had a break (we'll call it an extended time-out) as I focused on my thesis writing and research....but my worries are back.

I'm still wavering between diaconal ministry and ordained ministry. Between MA & mDiv degrees and trying to figure out if I am going to have to seriously consider leaving Luther to do an mDiv degree. [I understand that students have to revoke their MA in order to do an mDiv here & I'm not sure that's the best plan for me.]

The scientist in me has come up with a logical plan. Each day I will indicate whether I'm leaning towards mDiv or MA in an excel spreadsheet. I will rate the strength of my leaning on a scale between 0.00 - 10.00. At the end of the study period, I will be able to calculate the gravity and degree of my resolve toward each. I will do statistics. I can make charts. God invented science, you know.

This just might work. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger aase said...

You know my mantra: no one should ever try and talk you into an MDiv. But if the data doesn't lie, then maybe science will prove the final straw.

5/15/2009 08:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Your Mom said...

If you are a analyst and a diaconal minister what does that make you? Diac-anal Minister.

5/15/2009 11:42:00 AM  
Anonymous brian jm said...

I love the plan. I also think you should organize a wrestling tournament. Each of the many participants would wear jerseys adorned with "mdiv" or "ma." Singlets would be assigned randomly and the winning wrestler then presents you with the singlet in a ceremony where you then begin (or continue) down the winning academic path.

5/17/2009 01:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home