Thursday, March 12, 2009

Headers, footnotes, and citations (oh my!)

by Daniel

Tonight was an evening of headers and footnotes. I remember hating them when I first started doing academic writing. My "Hell" consisted of footnotes and bibliographies! This week I’ve been whetting my editing skills as a teaching assistant by reading and grading student papers (I do the nitty gritty stuff - not the content). It’s actually pretty exciting. With each student comes a slightly (or radically) different interpretation or perspective fn the text. It’s strikingly refreshing. It's great to see how people interpret Scripture. On the other hand – it’s quite apparent when a student actually devoted significant time to their papers and when one did not. I won’t pretend that I pulled that off a few times in college myself. Know I know what it's like (empathy). There’s no excuse for that anymore (although sometimes conjecture does happen). Correcting headers and footnotes isn’t the paradigm of a perfect evening, but I’ve learned a few things in the process. As I edit my thesis for publication and binding – every little trick helps. I certainly wish you all the best on this chilly night. Sleep tight.

-Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home