Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Minnesota nice"

by Daniel

It’s come to my attention that the Midwest is known as the cradle of mild-mannered, “nice” people. Don’t get me wrong – there are a lot of wonderful people here, but surely there are some jerks! Minnesota has been my home for nearly twenty-five years (save the years I spent in Iowa for college – I was so much closer to the equator down there). Have you ever found yourself being too “Minnesota nice?” A recent misadventure of mine has led me to grow pregnant with rage and wrath not unlike the prophet Jeremiah (“But I am full of the wrath of the LORD, and I cannot hold it in. "Pour it out on the children in the street and on the young men gathered together; both husband and wife will be caught in it, and the old, those weighed down with years” (cf. Jer 6:11)! Ok – maybe not!

Here’s a little story about a small town boy who couldn’t say “no” to a philanthropist over the phone. Once upon a time (that’s what we in the trade call a “stock phrase” for all my form-critical friends out there)…in a majestic apartment in Saint Paul lived a seminarian who had just ordered Chinese delivery for his lovely fiancé. When his phone rang he thought it was the delivery guy needing to be “buzzed in” to the apartment – but, alas, it was a local theatre asking for money! He couldn’t say, “I’m not interested!” and ended up listening to the philanthropist’s speech. When she asked for money he said, “I’ll think about it.” Now - even though he recognizes the phone number of said philanthropist and he purposely ignores it – she still has called the boy well over twenty, yes, twenty times in the last week (from 8:00a.m. - 9:45 p.m.).

Well, recently I’ve grown perturbed with people who can’t take a hint. I’m too “Minnesota nice” to answer the phone and say “No!” – But I’m not “Minnesota nice” enough to pick up when she spam-calls me! I guess I’m just a jerk. What would you do? Would you keep calling someone to ask for money when they don’t answer twenty-some times or respond to your voice-mail?! Interesting stuff! Have a good night!
-DS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home