Saturday, January 31, 2009

Roots

by Margaret Obaga

Visiting with a friend the other day set me wondering about my roots. Here I was in another continent having a meal with someone of African American descent and I, from Africa. What does this mean? Martin Luther the reformer asked the same question, what does this mean? when discussing and instructing on the Ten commandments, the Creed and the Lord's Prayer. By referencing Luther, I want to believe that our meeting was not accidental or in vain. obvious in the terms, African _American and African,is common roots of ancestry that my friend and I share . This knowledge, now so closely experienced in the sharing of a meal with my African -American friend cemented our friendship. However, it prompted me to want to intentionally understand who my neighbor is as experienced with my friend. In thinking about these things it became imperative for me to be intentional in doing the movement of mutual embrace which is open to the future even as it is open about the past in understanding present cross cultural friendships. And yet, the question, what does it mean ? might linger, but most certainly true is the knowledge that we'll "understand it better by and by."
I am humbled and honored to participate in knowing the wonderful people of this land, in knowing a dear friend from my roots.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home