Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My music playlist 2008

by Jeni

Ahh, it's that time of year again, when the past twelve months gets reviewed and we prepare for the next twelve months. In this time it is important to take stock, to take note of the year. One way I do that is through music. My year was shaped by being on internship and out of normal patterns and wedding planning, which pointed me towards listening to the likes of Bon Jovi, Earth, Wind and Fire, ABBA, Tommy Tutone, the Bee Gees, Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra (Vegas, Baby!), just to name a few.

My top choices of 2008:

Albums
1. Mason Jennings :: In the Ever
2. Coldplay :: Viva la Vida
3. Bon Iver :: For Emma, Forever Ago
Though I haven't yet opened it, Colin gifted me with this:
4. Nina Simone :: To Be Free : The Nina Simone Story

Meh.
1. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals :: Cardinology
2. She & Him :: Volume One
3. Death Cab for Cutie :: Narrow Stairs

Biggest let downs
1. Tapes n' Tapes :: Walk it Off
2. Ben Folds :: Way to Normal
3. Ray LaMontagne :: Gossip in the Grain

Wish I had listened to more (I'm quite behind)
1. Sigur Ros :: Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
2. Wolf Parade :: At Mount Zoomer
3. The Hold Steady :: Stay Positive
4. Of Montreal :: Skeletal Lamping
5. Okkervil River :: The Stand Ins
6. Blitzen Trapper :: Furr
7. Fleet Foxes :: Fleet Foxes

Songs of the year
1. Never Knew Your Name, Going Back to New Orleans, Soldier Boy & How Deep is that River :: Mason Jennings :: In the Ever
2. Strawberry Swing & Lost! :: Coldplay :: Viva la Vida
3. Flume & Skinny Love :: Bon Iver :: For Emma, Forever Ago
4. Grapevine Fires & Your New Twin Sized Bed :: Death Cab for Cutie
5. Milk Thistle :: Conor Oberst :: Conor Oberst
6. Hang 'Em All :: Tapes n' Tapes :: Walk it Off
7. Meg White :: Ray LaMontagne
8. RoboCop :: KanYe West :: 808s & Heartbreak
9. Furr :: Blitzen Trapper :: Furr

I realize that songs from albums I was most disappointed in made it to my top songs of the year. Songs don't make a great album, but even disappointing albums have good songs.


Looking forward to in 2009:
1. The Decemberists
2. U2
3. Ben Kweller
4. M. Ward
5. Andrew Bird
6. Carl Newman
7. Neko Case
8. The New P...s

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a) A couple years ago, I said, "Jens! The Hold Steady!" And you mocked me. It feels so good to be right.
b) James Blunt's absence is glaring.
c) Why is "S--bomb" not on the list???

1/01/2009 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Catrina Ciccone said...

The more I've listened to Gossip in the Grain, the more I agree with you. I think there are a number of great individual songs on the disc, but it just doesn't hold together well as an album.

1/07/2009 08:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home