Sunday, December 28, 2008

Eating Christmas

by Margaret Obaga

I like the idea of 'eating Christmas', as we say in Kisii, Kenya. So I 'ate' my Christmas at LS here in St. Paul, MN. I am still eating it as my fridge is still stuffed with matumbo, wali, Mchicha, samosa and maharage. I even tried various types of popcorn. A friend dropped some at our house and I just ate them. They were yellowish, sugarly, greenish etc etc. I even wondered what in the world I was doing by behaving in this un-melike manner just because I was on holidays! I suppose holidays are there to be enjoyed and celebrated. Holidays seem to have this thing in them that is so irresistible, causing one and all to simply plunge (bloop). And so, I plunged into this river of endless eating. At one time I thought I needed to repent of this behavior. Maybe I really should repent of those omissions and commissions, what then can one do? And so my rationalizing continues. In the meantime, I am becoming aware of the extra pounds I am carrying on certain "regions" of my physical composition. I seem to be surprised but not really. Now what? I don't know for now. But soon, actually next week, on the 5th of January 2009 to be precise, I will begin my J-Term "marathon". You cannot (I, usually do not) go wrong. The collaborative inquiry, the journaling, 1st and 2nd responses that I will need to do will help me in "fleshing" down the said unwelcome matter.Well, well do not try it please, this is only applicable to me and only in the J-Term "Vocation of a Theologian" seminar.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kwiyani Files said...

This Christmas has been the hardest for me since I left Malawi, and that is a good number of years ago. Reading here about all the Kenyan foods you have mention makes me even more homesick. How I wish I could have some Malawian food. "By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, and yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion." That's how I feel after reading your post. I am coming down to Sandgren for the maharage, whatever that is.

And have fun in class. Before you know it, the extra pounds will be history. All the best.

12/28/2008 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret Obaga said...

Thanks Harvey for your comment. You see, there is something about familiar food. It has much to do with family, culture, country and loved ones.
My prayers and best wishes for you with hopes that one of these days you'll surely eat Malawian food in Malawi! Amen to that.

12/28/2008 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home