Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hair Rituals

by Margaret Obaga


I recently “opened” my hair to the fresh air and winter breeze of MN. You see, my hair has been in braids since mid last September. These braids have kept the hair protected against extreme temperatures of winter and summer. In preparation for this winter, I braided it and went about the semester with least of care except for the necessary cleaning and scalp treatment. And so, the opening of braids gives me the joy of seeing and feeling my hair again, after almost four months of its "hibernating." Now, a sense of newness and freshness is all over me with my hair all opened up making me feel good. So, I have about five days to comb my hair and style it and wonder at what my Maker means in saying, “But even the hairs of your head are numbered.” The question of numbering my hair may not be as intriguing and mysterious in these techno days as it might have been in the past. Anyhow, the idea of someOne knowing the number of my hair, is still incredible and quite a demand on my limited grasp. Even with these techno-scientific days, it is interesting how a unit of a human person (body in this case) demands great attention of collaborative conversation between disciplines of the academy as with peoples of different faith traditions. And so, the wonder with which I view my hair becomes a simple reminder of my human finitude moving me to seek the infinite. In this posture then, I submit to the Infinite One and hear these words, "But even the hairs of your head are numbered.”

Once again, I will sit for five or so hours to braid my hair in preparation for the J-Term and spring classes. I will braid it to keep it still and tame, to protect it from winter’s cold even as I rest from its daily combing and experiencing its heartbreaking breakages. In the meantime, I enjoy the freedom of my hair and the new look it gives me (no pictures please).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home